Sippy cups harbor health-threatening mold in the filters embedded in the bottles’ valves. One particular Facebook post of Marie-Pier S. L’Hostie has drawn international attention to sippy cups offered by international producer Tommee Tippee.
Marie-Pier S. L’Hostie is a mother living in Quebec. This month she shared the story of her friend, Simon O’Kanada, another parent from Quebec who found mold under the valve of the Tommee Tippee sippy cup. Many other parents then took to social media to vent their outrage at the fact that sippy cups harbor health-threatening mold. The images posted by Marie-Pier S. L’Hostie have been shared well over 40,000 times on Facebook alone.
BuzzFeed took notice of the growing number of shares and looked into the story. It seems that Tommee Tippee sippy cups hold mold under the anti-leak spout regardless of the number of times parents have washed and disinfected the recipients.
Despite washing the sippy cups in the dishwasher repeatedly, mold continues to appear, threatening babies’ health. Tommee Tippee sippy cups may not be the only ones with this issue. Nonetheless, the broader issue of mold developing under the anti-leak spout of the sippy cups triggered more attention from health agencies.
In response to the BuzzFeed article looking into the fact that sippy cups harbor health-threatening mold, Tommee Tippee responded that the cause of this issue might be the improper use of the recipients. According to the company’s statement, if the sippy cups are used according to the recommendations, mold shouldn’t appear.
In other words, if they’re used exclusively with cold and light fluids and juices without pulp, there shouldn’t be any mold. Particularly when the sippy cups are cleaned according to the instructions, and each of the parts are cleaned individually, mold is not an issue.
Nonetheless, if the Tommee Tippee sippy cups are used with thick formula milk or warm liquids or juice containing pulp, it’s possible that mold appears. The company reiterated that the sippy cups are cleaned after each use to prevent mold from further developing.
The company’s statement hasn’t been satisfactory for the parents concerned about the good health of their children. As such, a number of discussion threads can be found on Mold Exposure or Baby Center.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, mold may cause a number of ailments detrimental to children’s good health. For instance, coughing, skin irritation, nasal stuffiness or throat irritation may be symptoms of mold exposure. Knowing that sippy cups harbor health-threatening mold should trigger parents to handle these recipients with extra attention.
Photo Credits: BusinessInsider