According to the toxicology reports, the two Park City teenagers died due to pink overdose. The thirteen years old boys were best friends, and they died a couple of days apart. It seems that at the moment in which the two consumed the substance, its distribution was not illegal in the United States.
The Medical Examiner’s Office in Utah released a statement saying that:
“the cause of death for both 13-year-old boys [was] acute drug intoxication of U-47700, the synthetic opioid known as pink.”
Grant Seaver and Ryan Ainsworth died this September, after consuming a drug procured from one of their friends. The teenagers succumbed to the lethal side effects of the drug 48 hours apart.
After their death, an investigation was started. In October, the Park City Police Department arrested a 15-year-old who was charged with distribution of a counterfeit or controlled substance. His first court appearance will take place this Friday, November 4th.
The teenagers’ deaths set off an investigation of their peers’ social media accounts. This led to the theory that the suspected U-47700 overdose was due to traffic inside the boys’ school.
The School District closely collaborated with both the parents and the police department. All lockers were checked, parents searched the rooms of their children, and in just a couple of weeks, one of the culprits was found.
From what the authorities found so far, two teens from the same school as the victims ordered the drugs from China. At the moment in which the order was placed, the substance was still legal in the United States, so they did not encounter any problems when they had the package delivered to a friend’s house.
According to the affidavit that is now one an important piece of evidence in the trial, the package originated from a Shanghai province and it held:
“a clear white bag containing a white powder substance.”
U-47700 is known as pink or pinky. Like many other opioids, the drug has been adopted by drug dealers worldwide. Consumers are promised an enhanced state of euphoria.
As of September, there are officially 15 deaths related to the substance. In Belgium, an individual died after mixing pink with fentanyl, another cheap and powerful street drug.
Image source: Pixabay