Other than being a theme for another cheesy song, medical researchers discovered that patients who undergo major heart surgery have better chances of recovery if they are married. So, marriage can heal a broken heart and it can also provide a swift recovery.
In order to determine if there is an actual link between the patient’s marital status and his postoperative recovery, researchers have taken upon themselves to dig up a series of medical records that could answer their question.
Top researchers, doctors Mark D. Neuman and Rachel M. Werner, from the Perelman School of Medicine, employed the data collected by the University of Michigan Health and Retirement Study in order to outline the specifics of this mechanism. During the clinical study, adults of 50 years of age and more were asked a couple of routine questions about their health, family status and their disabilities. This study first started in 1998 and every two years, participants were asked to come forth and fill out a questionnaire.
The results pointed out that marriage can heal a broken heart and that patients who are married stand a better chance at recovery than their counterparts. When examiners talked about disabilities, they were not referring to physical afflictions but rather to the patient’s inability to perform daily tasks independently, such as dressing, walking or eating.
Moreover, the study revealed that married patients are most likely male. After the interview took place, researchers were able to crunch up some numbers in order to demonstrate how marital status and the success of postoperative recovery are linked. Unfortunately, about 19 percent of the interviewed candidates either died or developed a new affliction after they underwent heart surgery. Circa 2 percent were never married and around 21 percent of the candidates were widowers.
Study shows that a spouse can play a crucial role in the recovery process. Not only can they provide some much needed emotional support, but they can also help their halves in performing daily tasks much easier.
Still, the outlines of this study are somewhat blurry, undefined. Researchers pointed out that they are in dire need of additional data and surveys in order to see if there is a strong connection between marital status and postoperative recovery.
Taking a quick look at the preliminary data, we can safely say that those who were previously married, never married or divorced have decreased chances of mending than those who have a healthy marriage.
Image source: www.pixabay.com