The jolly season is all about sharing and caring. And if you are a pet owner, you’ll definitely agree that during the busy-busy Christmas season, it’s easy to forget about your furry little buddy. Keep your best bud safe during the Holiday by keeping in mind a few simple tricks.
Doctor Elisabeth Giedt, a veterinarian working for the Continuing Education, Extension and Community Engagement program, had the courtesy of talking a little about how to care for our companions during the jolly seasons. For starters, the good doctor working for the Oklahoma State University said that although Christmas time may alter our schedules in many ways we care to admit, we should do anything we can to keep up our pet’s eating and exercise schedules.
Moreover, she stressed out the fact that the mere Christmas decorations could prove to be harmful to the pet’s well-being if we don’t keep on eye on him. Pay attention to your pet’s reaction towards the traditional Christmas tree.
The pet might be easily enticed to charge towards the tree and tip it down. If the tree falls on your pet he can get seriously injured. Furthermore, for those of you who prefer natural Christmas trees over artificial ones, be sure to keep an eye out for your bud when he’s close to the tree’s water tank.
Drinking water from the tree’s tank might sicken him due to the fact that the liquid contains high levels of fertilizers or other chemicals used. Your pet might also come down with a severe case of diarrhea or nausea if he nips into the tree’s tank filled with stagnant water.
In terms of Christmas decorations, be ever cautious about how you handle electric lights. One idea is to buy a tube filled with LED lights, rather than a cord with individual bulbs. That way you can make sure that your best buddy won’t electrocute himself if he decides to nip on the cord. Also, it would be a good idea to put the string in high places, where your pet doesn’t have access.
Candles can turn your Christmas into something very special. But be very careful when using real candles around your house, especially when you have a hyperactive pet. He can easily tip over the lit candles, and we know that a knocked-over candle isn’t a good thing.
On plants and other decorations: the traditional mistletoe looks very fine and it does add a little panache to you Christmas. But be very careful where you decide to place it. Ingesting these plants can cause potential harmful gastrointestinal complications.