Be careful what holiday gifts you give to your dog, as some of them might prove incredibly bad for the health of your furry friend. FDA warned all dog owners not to give their pets store-bought bone treats, as they can harm the animals and even become deadly. The agency put up a report on different cases of illnesses and deaths caused after the pups chewed on the processed treats.
Bone treats might be deadly for your dogs
The report displays 70 cases where dogs got ill after chewing bone treats, and 15 cases which turned out lethal. This situation is worrying, as the number of victims has nearly doubled since the last report on these chewable goodies.
They caused the dogs to experience trouble with their stomachs, as they started vomiting or choking on small pieces of the bones. Also, some of the bone treats turned moldy as soon as the dogs started munching on them. FDA doesn’t present a list of the brands which produce faulty treats, but most of those associated with injuries of death had flavors like smoky knuckle, ham, ribs, or pork femur.
Be careful what gifts you choose for your dog to chew on
This is not the first time when health officials discover that bone treats have a harmful effect on dogs. These concerns started arising in 2013 and, in only two years, the treats already caused around 6,000 dogs to fall sick and 1,000 to die.
Most of the faulty products were imported from China. However, dog owners shouldn’t always count on this, and it might actually be better for them to avoid giving their pets bone treats altogether. FDA noted,
“Pet owners should be aware, however, that manufacturers are not required to list the country of origin for each ingredient used in their products.”
Most of you probably regard your pets as family members, and enjoy giving their presents during the holiday season. However, be extremely careful what gift you choose for your little friends, as most of them might be toxic for them.
Image Source: Pixabay