Uber has been in great struggles to mitigate some major PR disasters. To regain its image in tune with modern capitalist morals, such as diversity, the ride-hailing company decided to release its first diversity report. The findings depict a typical tech company that activates in Silicon Valley. The ratio between women and men is far from being balanced. However, this status is a common feature among other major corporations as well.
Uber Diversity Report Is Similar with Those over Apple and Facebook
Liane Hornsey, the Chief Human Resources Officer at Uber, stated on Uber’s blog that the diversity report was long overdue. However, with the Tuesday’s release, the leadership hopes to harness the insights it gained from this report into future proactive choices that will reinforce the Uber culture.
“It’s no secret that we’re late to release these numbers. And I’d like to thank our employees for their tenacity in arguing the case for greater transparency — because what you don’t measure, you can’t improve.”
The report shows accurate details about the demographics of the Uber pool of employees. Thus, the setting reveals that 63.9% are male while the rest of 36.1% are female. However, women are present in only 15.4% of tech positions. These numbers are in tune with other tech giants as well. For instance, women occupy 32% of the jobs as Facebook while Apple has 32% of its employees females. However, other companies are closer to a gender balance. At Airbnb and Pinterest, the female presence is in proportion of 43% and 44% respectively.
Uber Introduced a Chapter for its Employees with Work Visas
As far as race is concerned, Uber harbors a dominance of white employees. They are in a large proportion of 49.8%. However, this makeup is not uncommon among tech companies that are based in the United States. The black representation is 8% while Latinx is 4.3%. However, when considering technical roles only, these figures drop to 1% and 2.1% respectively.
At the level of management, 76.7% are white professionals. Moreover, only 22% of the leaders are women, 2.3% are black, while Latinx occupies high-tier positions in proportion of 0.8%. The company included a new category in its diversity report. This new feature is in tune with the recent political turmoil and represents the proportion of employees with work visas. They represent 15% of the company, and they come from 71 countries.
Image source: 1