Drink the water but don’t get it in your nose, as you may have your brain eaten alive by a brain eating amoeba found in the Louisiana water sampling site. We are used to developing horror scenarios to scare off little children or friends but when the horror stories we tell become reality, the shivers down our spines cause real fear.
The amoeba recently found in tap water is scientifically known as Naegleria Fowlery and was found in the St Bernard Parish Water system. The microscopic creature is at its second search for prey as it was previously found in 2013 and has caused three deaths in Louisiana over the past two years.
This gruesome animal can cause brain infection which progressively evolves to completely destroy the brain tissue. Symptoms are highly similar to those of bacterial meningitis. Even though the Office of Public Health declared that tap water is still safe to drink, residents of the St. Bernard Parish are advised to stay away from it and avoid getting the liquid in their noses.
Action is being taken as the State’s Department of Health and Hospitals has asked the parish to conduct a 60 day chlorine burn in an attempt to kill off the creature in the public water system. It seems that Naegleria Fowlery is highly resilient in front of disinfectant substances. Monthly reports revealed the water system has met all the requirements for disinfectant levels. Five other areas tested negative for the creature and one site failed to meet the required level of disinfectant.
The microscopic creature was found both at a water treatment facility and at a site near 948 Angela Street. Samples of water revealed the presence of the amoeba and as a consequence, citizens should avoid drinking tap water as much as possible.
Naegleri Fowleri amoeba kills 97% of its victims. Symptoms start with common headaches, vomiting or nausea and progress to confusion, loss of balance, lack of attention to people, seizures and hallucinations and stiff neck.
The brain eating amoeba found in Louisiana is one of the most peculiar cases of microbes found in common tap water. Water is the source of life, whether it comes from the faucet in our kitchen or bathroom or from a plastic bottle. Spread of microbes in tap water is highly dangerous for large masses of people who live under the threat of having their brains eaten alive by a creature that cannot be seen with the naked eye.
Image Source: foxnews.com